From 5th April 2022 all prescriptions will be sent electronically which means there could be NO need for patients to have a paper prescription to collect their medication. It can all be done using the Electronic Prescription Service.
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service which allows you to collect your medication from a Pharmacy without the need to collect a paper prescription from the surgery.
If you use the Practice Dispensary you are unaffected by the change to EPS. Please continue to use the Dispensary as you always have as it helps support other service provision within the Practice.
Why should you nominate a Pharmacy to collect your prescription from?
- If you have regular medication that you collect from the same Chemist nominating a pharmacy is the best option;
- Your prescription will go straight to your nominated pharmacy as soon as it is signed off by the GP practice.
- You may not have to wait as long at the pharmacy as there will be time for your repeat prescriptions to be ready before you arrive.
If you do NOT nominate a Pharmacy to collect your prescription from
- You will be given a "token" by the surgery - it looks like an old style prescription but will have a barcode printed on the side.
- You can take this token to any Chemist to collect your prescription;
- When you arrive at the Chemist the chemist staff will scan the barcode to get details of your prescription;
- You will then have to wait for the Pharmacist to prepare your medication.
Can I change my nomination or cancel it and get a paper prescription?
If you want to change your nomination speak to any pharmacist or dispensing appliance contractor that offers EPS, or your GP practice. Tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription may be sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes. Your electronic prescription will be seen by the same people in GP practices, pharmacies and NHS prescription payment and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now.
Sometimes dispensers may see that you have nominated another dispenser. For example, if you forget who you have nominated and ask them to check or, if you have nominated more than one dispenser.
How do you nominate a pharmacy?
- Go to your regular, preferred Chemist and tell them you want to nominate them to receive your prescription via EPS
- If you have SystmOnline or the NHS app you will be able to see and change your nominated Chemist on there
- The Surgery is able to record details of your nominated Chemist
- You can complete a nomination form if you wish and return it to us at email@example.com and we will record your nomination - the form is available HERE